Spotlight on “Build A Bear Workshop” (Giveaway)
THE STORY BEHIND “BUILD A BEAR WORKSHOP”:
was born from an idea my friend Katie – who was 10 years old at the time – and I had when we were out shopping for stuffed toys. When we couldn’t find the stuffed toy she wanted, she said, “These are so easy, we could make them.” She meant we could do a craft project, but what I heard was so much bigger.
I looked around to see if we could buy a business, like a factory that made stuffed animals and make it even more successful. I found a few that made stuffed animals, but no one wanted to sell. Katie thought we should just do it and so we did. We decided to reinvent the idea of making your own stuffed animals for mall- based retailing. After all, Ray Kroc from McDonald’s didn’t invent hamburgers and Howard Schultz from Starbucks didn’t invent coffee, they just invented how to sell more and how to sell it better.
Every adult I asked about the idea said it would never work – why would anyone ever want to make their own stuffed animal? But every kid said “Where is it?” and “When can I do it?” My teddy bear, “Teddy”, was my first best friend and helped shape who I am today, so I knew just how meaningful teddy bear friendship could be.
We opened our first store in 1997 at the Saint Louis Galleria in St. Louis, Missouri. Today there are over 400 stores worldwide, and just over 70 million furry friends adventuring around the globe.
I am so proud that at Build-A-Bear Workshop and now in Build-A-Bearville™ virtual world we have created a safe place where kids can play, express their creativity and use their imaginations.
One 10 year old girl was the inspiration for this entire company – think of the difference you can make! Always believe in your dream.**
Chief Executive Bear
WHAT DO YOU DO AT “BUILD A BEAR WORKSHOP”:
- The Store Experience : Guests who visit a Build-A-Bear Workshop® store enter a recognizable and distinctive teddy bear themed environment consisting of eight stuffed animal-making stations. Regardless of age, Guests enjoy the highly visual environment, the sounds and the fantasy of this special place while they create a memory with their friends and family.
- Choose Me Station: Guests are introduced to all the furry characters in the store and then select one, which soon becomes their new friend. There are more than 30 varieties of stuffed animals including teddy bears, bunnies, dogs, kitties and more. Build-A-Bear Workshop stuffed animals are very affordable, ranging in price from $10- $25.
- Hear Me Station: Guests may select from several sound choices to place inside their stuffed animal to further personalize their new friend. The sound chip is inserted safely inside the new friend during the stuffing process. Guests can record their own 10-second Build-A-Sound® message. Pre-recorded sounds include giggles, growls, barks, meows and other animal sounds, as well as messages such as “I Love You” or songs like “Take Me Out To The Ballgame™”.
- Stuff Me Station: With the help of master Bear Builder associates, Guests fill their new friend with stuffing for just the right amount of huggability. A very special step that is unique to Build-A-Bear Workshop also happens at this station. Each Guest selects a small satin heart – a Build-A-Bear Workshop trademark, adds to it his or her own love and wishes, and carefully places it inside their new furry friend. This process brings the furry friendship to life.
- Stitch Me Station: The last seam is neatly pulled shut, nearly completing each new best friend. Before stitching the furry friend, the master Bear Builder associate inserts a bar-code, allowing it to hopefully be reunited with its owner if ever lost and returned to Build-A-Bear Workshop. Thousands of furry friends have been reunited through our exclusive Find-A-Bear® ID program. The bar-code also generates a unique code on the birth certificate so Guests can bring their new friend to life on-line for free at buildabearville.com to continue their friendship adventure when they get home.
- Fluff Me Station: The Guest brushes the animal to make sure his or her new friend is well groomed and pawfectly huggable!
- Dress Me Station: Guests may dress their new friend in the beary latest furry fashions. The bear apparel boutique features clothes and accessories for all occasions. Build-A-Bear Workshop® even has its own fashion expert mascot, Pawlette Coufur®, Fashion Advisor to the Furry Famous. Guests then stop at the Name Me computer, where they answer several questions about their new furry friend, including the birth date and of course, its name. The furry friend is then entered into the Find-A-Bear ID program and this information is used to create a personalized birth certificate for the furry friend.
- Take Me Home Station: Finally, Guests conclude their in-store bear-making experience. Here they receive their customized birth certificate and a special Stuff Fur Stuff® club membership, a rewards program for our Guests. Each new furry friend is then placed in their very own Cub Condo® carrying case, which is designed as a handy travel carrier.**
THE IE MOMMY SAYS:
Where do I start?
We love Build-A-Bear Workshop!
We have long been fans and have a lot of their little “friends”. I do mean a lot. The twins are members of the Stuff for Stuff Club and the Build-A-Bearville.com so when I was approached to create a review…I jumped at the chance.
Rylan and Skylar were sent the cutest Build-A-Bear animal…The Patriotic Pup. This little guy is beyond cute…..covered with red and blue stars he is destined to bring a smile to anyone…young or old. Our particular puppy has a cute red star directly over his right eye. Definitely adds a little character. But that is part of the fun at Build-A-Bear Workshop…even if two people purchase the same animal…they are always different. The Patriotic Pup will hit the BABW stores on June 12th!
Starting June 6th…you can receive a FREE Beach Towel for you with a purchase of $20 or more! We received ours along with our Patriotic Pup and it is a wonderful generous size. We will definitely be going to BABW next week to pick up another one…afterall, I do have twins.
What I enjoy most about Build-A-Bear Workshop is the interactive experience for the kids. They are able to “choose” their animal, give it a heart, love it, care for it and take it home. It transitions from a toy to a real friend.
Like most little girls…my daughters have a ton of stuffed animals but the BABW are by far the favorites. Each friend has a name, a birth certificate and their own personal wardrobe. The way my girls’ view the Build-A-Bear Workshop animals is that they have “lives”, they have “personalities” and are very real.
You know…if I am honest…I will have to admit that even I have a BABW friend or two. Yes..it’s true! Her name is Princess Kiki and she is a beautiful bear that sits on my bed. My husband purchased her for our anniversary. I always take the girls and never ever purchased one for myself so she is extra special. Princess Kiki wears a gorgeous pink outfit complete with a baseball cap.
I have seen children, grandparents, teenagers and even newlyweds busy making their own custom friend at Build-A-Bear Workshop. Our favorite BABW store is located at Downtown Disney and they really know how to create an environment of fun for their shoppers. Each time you visit a BABW the animals and clothing styles can be different. There is alwasy something new.
Yes, you can go to any store and pick up an animal but if you really want to experience and create a friend…Build-A-Bear is the way to go.
Contest will end MIDNIGHT (PST) – June 9th.
Winner will be randomly chosen and announced on June 10th
Contest Open to U.S. Residents Only at this time.
HOW TO ENTER:
- TO ENTER :
- Visit Build – A – Bear Workshop and sign up for their newsletter “HERE” = ONE ENTRY
*This entry is mandatory, if it is not followed then all other entries will be disqualified.
- Visit Build – A – Bear Workshop and sign up for their newsletter “HERE” = ONE ENTRY
- EXTRA ENTRIES:
- Post my button (html on rt.side bar) to your site = ONE ENTRY
- Subscribe & Follow my blog via email =ONE ENTRY
- Favorite me on Technorati (bottom rt.sidebar) = ONE ENTRY
- Follow me on Twitter and Tweet about this giveaway-www.twitter.com/iemommy Remember to include @iemommy in order for it to count = ONE ENTRY
- Blog about this giveaway and leave me the link – must be a verifiable link: = ONE ENTRY
- Tell me your favorite “Friend” at Build – A- Bear Workship = ONE ENTRY
- Remember YOU MUST leave a comment for each step…in order to be eligible for the entries.
The IE Mommy is always looking for products, companies and sites to review. If you have or know of a company, product or site that could use an IE Mommy review. Email me at theiemommy (at) gmail (dot) com.
**Information obtained from the BABW Press Kit & Website.